Posted - 10/01/2008 : 14:44:23
| VADIM F. LVOVICH
The Lubrizol Corporation
Research, Development and Engineering
29400 Lakeland Blvd. C152
Wickliffe, OH 44092
2267 Bellfield Ave.
Cleveland Hts., OH 44106
Seeking a challenging multidisciplinary position in research and development in analytical electrochemistry or electrochemical engineering; special interest in nanotechnology, MEMS and microfabrication applications to industrial (fuels, polymers, colloids) and biomedical/pharmaceutical (enzymes, proteins, bacterium, drugs) materials. Also interested in a position in new product development and commercialization with emphasis on establishing and maintaining external collaborations
• 22 years of experience in electrochemistry and electrochemical engineering
• Extensive experience in chemical analysis and structure-property relationships of industrial polymers, plastics and colloids, complex biochemical and biomedical systems and nanomaterials
• Design, development and application of chemical and electrochemical sensors and MEMS in non-aqueous and aqueous solutions
• Commercial development – on-line condition monitoring systems and sensors for automotive and industrial lubricants. Emphasis on combining internal research effort with establishing, developing, and maintaining external collaborations with academic and industrial leaders in automotive electronics and chemical sensors
• 6 years of product development experience
• Business and technology relationship builder with external customers and partners – major OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers (10 years)
• Managerial experience - Team Leader on new product development projects
• 22 years of leadership in military and public life.
• 6 years of teaching experience in graduate and undergraduate courses
03/1998-present THE LUBRIZOL CORPORATION, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, Wickliffe, OH
Senior Research Scientist
• Research and development of chemical and electrochemical sensors, devices and MEMS technology for analysis of industrial polymers, fuels, plastics and lubricants
• Development and evaluation of methods of analysis of chemical and physical properties of industrial polymers, colloids and fuels
• Product development - on-line electrochemical sensors for automotive and industrial fluids and lubricants
• Team Leader, Lubrizol Externalization Program in Advanced Fluid Systems for harsh environments.
• Program Manager for an international multidisciplinary cross-organizational team with emphasis on external collaboration with OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers
• Establishing and developing collaborations and partnerships with outside technology centers (academic, government and industrial) specializing in electrochemical technology and chemical sensors.
09/2001-present DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY, Cleveland, OH
Adjunct Associate Professor
• Thesis co-adviser to Ph.D program students conducting research in electrochemical sensors, MEMS, fuel cells and batteries
• Electrochemical analysis and sensors for biomedical (enzymes, proteins, bacterium, drugs) nanospecies
• Electrochemical based drug delivery systems for transdermal patch applications
• Instructor in Advanced Analytical Chemistry and Electrochemistry courses
01/1992 – 01/1998 DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY, UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN, Urbana, IL
• Development, characterization, and application of electrochemical biosensors and technology
• Fabrication, design, development of novel enzyme- and polymer-based ultramicroelectrode biosensors for on-line characterization of complex biochemical solutions
• Investigation of NADH degradation, oxidation and complexation kinetics in presence of variable amount of oxygen and metal cations. Separation, identification, and characterization of NADH decomposition products.
• Voted University of Illinois Outstanding Teacher in ElectroAnalytical and General Chemistry
06/1991 - 12/1991 MATERIALS RESEARCH LABORATORY,
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN, Urbana, IL
Ultra-high vacuum electrochemical and spectroscopy studies of surface catalysis and adsorption of organic molecules on organized metal surfaces
01/1991 - 05/1991 DICKINSON COLLEGE, Carlisle, PA
Research and Teaching Assistant
Instructor in Chemistry and Russian. Proton- NMR characterization of organic molecules.
02/1988 - 11/1990 DEPARTMENT OF ELECTROCHEMICAL ENGINEERING,
MOSCOW MENDELEEV UNIVERSITY OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY,
Development of new anode materials. Organic synthesis of adsorbents for electroplating
Ph.D., Analytical Chemistry, December 1997, GPA 4.8/5.0
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN, Urbana, IL
Detection, separation, and characterization of solution species in complex biochemical systems
Research director - Dr. Alexander Scheeline
M.S., Chemical Engineering (major - Electrochemistry), 1992, GPA 5.0/5.0
MOSCOW MENDELEEV UNIVERSITY OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY, Moscow, Russia
Awarded the Russian Ministry of Education personal scholarship as an outstanding student.
Research director - Dr. Vladimir N. Kudriavtzev
1-semester exchange student, Chemistry, 1991
DICKINSON COLLEGE, Carlisle, PA
Selected as one of 7 participants out of 100 contestants with a 100% scholarship
Electrochemistry: Control current and potential techniques; hydrodynamic methods, bulk electrolysis,
Electrochemical Impedance and Dielectric Spectroscopy; QCM, coupled chemical/electrochemical reactions
Analytical Chemistry: HPLC; absorption UV-VIS spectrophotometry; ICP; FT-IR; thermoanalysis methods (DSC, DTA); AFM; TEM.
Sensors: Design, fabrication and development of chemical sensors, ISE and MEMS for harsh environments
Biology: Enzyme kinetics, enzyme immobilization
Surface Science: XPS, Auger, LEED; Electron Scanning Microscopy; second-harmonic generation.
Organic and Polymer Chemistry: synthesis of organic and inorganic polymers, rheology.
Computer skills: computational simulations, CFD
Foreign Languages: Russian (native speaker), German, French
Other skills: 2 years in circuit design, engineering graphics; professional machinist
ACTIVITIES AND HONORS
• City of Cleveland Heights, Administrative Services Committee
• Finalist of the Second Annual North Coast and International Nanotechnology Business Idea Competition (Cleveland, OH) as NanoPatchAC (M. Kaufman, A. Riga, V. Lvovich, K. Alexander) – for business plan and technology commercialization on development of a novel transdermal drug delivery system utilizing tuned alternating current in combination with direct current (2005).
• Member - Glennan Microsystems Initiative Applications Technology Team (1999-present)
• Executive Board Member - Wright Center for Sensors Systems Engineering (2006- present)
• Member of Advisory Board, CWRU Micro- and Nano-Fabrication Center
• Member: American Chemical Society, International Society of Electrochemistry, The Electrochemical Society
• The Electrochemical Society: Vice-Chairman of Sensors and Microsystems Division
• Intel International Science and Engineering Fair - Grand Awards Judge (2003)
• University of Illinois Outstanding Teacher of the Year (1995-96)
• Personal Scholarship of Russian Ministry of Education for outstanding scholar achievements
• High Honors, Moscow Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology
• Member, Moscow Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology Student Senate
• President, Moscow Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology Historical Society
Available upon request
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, "Non-Linear Impedance Analysis of industrial lubricants", Electrochim. Acta, 53, pp. 7375-7385, 2008.
V. F. Lvovich, “Monitoring Industrial-Machinery Lubricants”, Sensors, October 1, 2007,
M. F. Smiechowski, V. F. Lvovich, S. Roy, A. Fleischman, W. H. Fissell, A. T. Riga, “Electrochemical Detection and Characterization of Proteins”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Volume 22 (5), pp. 670-677, 2007.
V. F. Lvovich, C. C. Liu, M. F. Smiechowski, “Optimization and Fabrication of Planar Interdigitated Impedance Sensors for Highly Resistive Non-Aqueous Industrial Fluids”, Sensors and Actuators, 119(2), pp. 490-496, 2007.
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, "Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy analysis of industrial lubricants", Electrochim. Acta, 51, pp. 1487-1496, 2006.
K. J. Hughes, V. F. Lvovich, J. Woo, B. Moran, A. Suares, M. H. T. Truong, “Novel Methods for Emollient Characterization”, Cosmetics and Toiletries Manufacture Worldwide, 93, pp. 127-132, 2006.
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, C. C. Liu, “Optimization and Fabrication of Planar Interdigitated Impedance Sensors for Highly Resistive Non-Aqueous Industrial Fluids”, Proceedings of 7th European Symposium on Electrochemical Engineering, Toulouse, France, 3-5 October, 2005, pp. 15-20.
M. F. Smiechowski, V. F. Lvovich, "Characterization of Carbon Black Colloidal Nanoparticles by Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy", J. Electroanal. Chem., 577(1), pp. 67-78, 2005.
S.A. Goodlive, V.F. Lvovich, B.K. Humphrey, F.P. Boyle, "On-Board Sensor Systems to Diagnose Condition of Diesel Engine Lubricants - Focus on Soot", SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-3010.
M. F. Smiechowski, V. F. Lvovich, “Iridium Oxide Sensors for Acidity and Basicity Detection in Industrial Lubricants”, Sensors and Actuators, 96 (1-2), pp. 261-267, 2003.
M. F. Smiechowski, V. F. Lvovich, “Electrochemical Monitoring of Water-Surfactant Interactions in Industrial Lubricants”, J. Electroanal. Chem., 534 (2), pp.171-180, 2002.
A. T. Riga, M. Smiechowski, V. Lvovich, K. Alexander, "Dielectric Analysis of Transdermal Patches", NATAS, 2002.
F. Zalar, V. Lvovich, K. Buse, C. Zhang, H. George, "The Role of Engine Oil Formulations on Fluid Diagnostics", SAE 2002 Transactions- Journal of Fuel and Lubricants, ASTM 2002-01-2677, 1-8.
M. Smiechowski, V. Lvovich, "On-Line Electrochemical Sensors for Monitoring Time-Dependent Water-Polymer Interactions in Industrial Lubricants", Chemical and Biological Sensors and Analytical Methods, Proceedings Volume 2001-18, M.Butler, P. Vanysek, N. Yamazoe Eds., The Electrochemical Soc., Inc., Pennington, NJ, pp. 442-453, 2001.
V. Lvovich, A. T. Riga and J. Cahoon, “Characterization of Organic Surfactants and Dispersants By Frequency-Dependent Dielectric Thermal Analysis and Electrochemistry”, Materials Characterization by Dynamic and Modulated Thermal Analytical Techniques, ASTM Special Technical Publication 1402, A. Riga and L. Judovits, Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, June 2001, 157-173.
V. Lvovich, “How’s My Fluid Doing?”, Lubrizol Reports, 1 (2000), 2-3.
V. Lvovich and A. Scheeline, “Simultaneous Superoxide and Hydrogen Peroxide Detection in Peroxidase/NADH Oscillator”, Anal. Chim. Acta, 354 (1997) 315 323.
V. Lvovich and A. Scheeline, “Electrochemical Sensors for Simultaneous Superoxide and Hydrogen Peroxide Detection”, Anal. Chem., 69 (1997), 454-462
V. Lvovich and A. Scheeline, “Complexation of Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide with Ferric and Ferrous Ions”, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 320 (1995), 1-13
A. T. Riga, V. F. Lvovich, M. G. Kaufman, T. Bradshaw, “Chemical Compound Delivery Device and Method”, US 2008 / 0146986 + International Patent Application WO 2008 / 063338.
V. Lvovich, F. Boyle, “Method for On-Line Monitoring of Condition of Non-Aqueous Fluids”, U.S. Patent Application 20070151806, granted March 2008.
F. P. Boyle, V. F. Lvovich, P. V. Kempe, “Method and Apparatus for Estimating Basicity of a Used, All-Loss Cylinder Lubricant”, US Patent Application 20070084271, granted, October 2007.
V. Lvovich, F. Boyle, “Method for On-Line Fuel-Dilution Monitoring of Engine Lubricant”, US Patent 7259575 + International Patent, granted September 2007.
V. Lvovich, F. Boyle, “Apparatus for On-Line Monitoring Quality/Condition of Fluids”, U.S. Patent Application 20060038130.
V. F. Lvovich, D. B. Skursha, F. P. Boyle, “Method for On-Line Monitoring of Quality and Condition of Non-Aqueous Fluids“, US Patent 6861851 + International Patent, March 1, 2005.
V. F. Lvovich, F. P. Boyle, D. B. Skursha, F. V. Zalar, " On-Line Fluid Monitoring That Compensates for a Fluid’s Temperature Dependence ", US Patent application 20050114060.
V. Lvovich, F. Boyle, "Method and Apparatus for On-Line Monitoring of Quality and/or Condition of Highly Resistive Fluids", US Patent 6577112 + International Patent, June 10, 2003.
V. Lvovich, “Multi-Frequency Electrochemical Impedance Lubricant Condition Sensor”, 212 Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, Washington, DC, October 10, 2007
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, A. S. Desai, “Non-Linear Impedance Analysis of Industrial Lubricants”, 7th International Symposium on Impedance Spectroscopy, May 2007.
A. T. Riga, V. F. Lvovich, M. Kaufman, and K. Alexander, “Electrochemical and NanoDielectric Technology for Drug Delivery Systems and Drugs Analysis”, 2006 Ohio Nanotechnology Summit, Columbus, OH, April 4, 2006
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, C. C. Liu, “Optimization and Fabrication of Planar Interdigitated Impedance Sensors for Highly Resistive Non-Aqueous Industrial Fluids”, 7TH European Symposium on Electrochemical Engineering, Toulouse, France, October 3, 2005.
K. J. Hughes, V. F. Lvovich, J. Woo, B. Moran, A. Suares, M. H. T. Truong, “Novel Methods for Emollient Characterization”, SICC-IFSCC Conference, Florence, 19-21 September 2005.
V. F. Lvovich, “Multi Frequency Electrochemical Impedance Sensor for Monitoring Degradation of Industrial Lubricants”, 207 Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, Quebec City, May 18, 2005.
V. F. Lvovich, S. N. Peal, F. P. Boyle, “Multi Frequency Electrochemical Impedance Sensor for Lubricant Condition Monitoring”, 2005 Annual Meeting of Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, Las Vegas, May 16, 2005.
F. P. Boyle, V. F. Lvovich, H. Leye, “On-Board Diagnosis of Lubricant Performance Condition- A Better Way to Make Maintenance Decisions”, International Sensor Show, Nuremberg, May 10, 2005.
V. F. Lvovich, A. T. Riga, M. F. Smiechowski, "Electrochemical Sensors and Analysis of Bacteria, Drugs, and Pharmaceutical Nanomaterials", Northeast Ohio Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Research Symposium, Dayton, OH, March 2, 2005.
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, " Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Analysis of Degradation of Industrial Lubricants", 6th International Symposium on Impedance Spectroscopy, May 2004.
V. F. Lvovich, A. T. Riga, "Electrochemical Methods and Sensors for Characterization of Biological, Pharmaceutical and Polymeric Nanomaterials", Northeast Ohio Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Research Symposium, Cleveland, OH, February 17, 2004.
V. F. Lvovich, "Impedance Characterization of Time-Dependent Degradation of Industrial Lubricants", 203 Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, May 1, 2003
V. F. Lvovich and M. F. Smiechowski, “On-line Electrochemical Sensors for Monitoring Acidity and Basicity of Industrial Lubricants", International Society of Electrochemistry, September 16, 2002.
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, “On-line Electrochemical Sensors for Monitoring Time-Dependent Water-Polymer Interactions in Industrial Lubricants”, Joint Meeting of The Electrochemical Society and International Society of Electrochemistry, September 8, 2001.
V. F. Lvovich, M. F. Smiechowski, “Electrochemical Sensors for Condition Diagnostics of Complex Industrial Fluids”, Lubrizol Technical Symposium, 2001.
V. Lvovich, “Applications of Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy to On-line Analysis of Industrial Polymers”, Lubrizol Technical Symposium, 2000.
V. Lvovich, “Electrochemical Sensors for On-line Oil Analysis”, Lubrizol Technical Symposium, 1999.
E. Kirkor, V. Lvovich, and A. Scheeline, “Effect of Oxygen on Degradation Pathways of NADH”, FACSS 1997
V. Lvovich, E. Kirkor, and A. Scheeline, “Kinetics of NADH Decomposition in Presence of Oxygen and Metal Cations”, Gordon Conference 1997
V. Lvovich and A. Scheeline, “New Developments in Characterization of Peroxidase/NADH Oscillator”, FACSS-96.