William Lash Millerwas born in Galt, Ontario, Canada on September 10, 1866. He received a B.A. degree from the University of Toronto in 1887. He was a Fellow at Berlin 1887-1889, Gottingham 1889, and Toronto 1890. He obtained his Ph.D. at Munich 1890 and Leipzig in 1892.
He was a Demonstrator in Chemistry at Toronto from 1891 to 1899; Associate Professor in Physical Chemistry 1900-1907; and Professor 1908 until his retirement. His research involved concentrations changes and polarization during electrolysis with alternating and interrupted current.
Professor Miller was President of The Electrochemical Society in the year 1912-1913. He was made an Honorary Member of the Society 1929. The Chemical Society made him an Honorary Member in 1906 and the Electroplaters Association gave him the same honor. He was Associate Editor of the Journal of Physical Chemistry 1910-1926 and Associate Editor of the Chemical Society Journal 1913-1924. He was Chairman of the Canadian Section of the Society of Chemical Industries in 1910. In 1926 he served as President of the Canadian Institute of Chemistry.