ECS Logo
ECS Members Education Awards Students Sponsorship Publications Meetings
Digital Library Home
ECS JOURNALS
Open Access
ECS Transactions
Meeting Abstracts
Interface
History Center
Manuscript Submissions
ECS Bookstore
Subscription Information
Copyright Requests
Advertising Opportunities
ECS Member Info
Login Info
Donate
Membership
Renew Membership Now
Career Center
Technical Interest Areas and Divisions
Sections
Student Chapters
Governance and Committees
Press Room
ECS Advertising Opportunities
Get Free Newsletter
ECS Redcat Blog

 

 

John C. Warner

ECS President | 1952-1953


John C. Warner


John Christian Warner was born in Goshen, Indiana on May 28, 1897. He attended Indiana University where he received his A.B. in 1919, M. A. in 1920, and Ph.D. degree in Chemistry in 1923. He was a research chemist for Barrett Co. Philadelphia in 1918 and Codson Co., Oklahoma 1920-21. He was Instructor of Chemistry at the University of Indiana in 1919 and 1921-24. From 1925-26, he was Research Chemist for Wayne Chemical Co.

Dr. Warner's achievements and the scope of his interests attest to his marked ability as an administrator, as well as an educator, scientist, and author. Following his early industrial and teaching experience, he joined the faculty at Carnegie Institute of Technology as Instructor in Chemistry in 1926. He became Head of the Department of Chemistry in 1938, Dean of Graduate Studies in the College of Engineering and Science in 1945, and President of Carnegie in July 1950. During this time he contributed much to the program for developing professional education at Carnegie.

Dr. Warner's research work included: kinetics of reactions in solutions, vapor-liquid equilibria and heats of mixing in electrolytic solutions, kinetics and equilibrium in gas carbonization of austenite, acid-base properties of mixed solvents, and equilibrium and rates in corrosion of metals.

During a two year leave in 1943-45, Dr. Warner was connected with the Manhattan Project doing confidential work on the purification of plutonium. Later he participated in the operation of the Clinton Laboratories at Oak Ridge. He played a prominent role in leading scientific and honorary societies, authored more than 50 technical papers, and co-authored several textbooks.

Dr. Warner joined the Society in 1922 and served on the Publication, Weston Fellowship, and Roeber Research Fund committees. He was elected Vice-President of The Electrochemical Society in 1949 and President for the term 1952-1953.

###

 
 
 

Home | ECS Members | Education | Awards | Students | Sponsorship | Publications | Meetings

About | Contact | Privacy Policy | Site Map

© The Electrochemical Society, all rights reserved.

 

 

About ECS | Contact ECS

SEARCH ECS: