MINUTES - ECS SENSOR DIVISION Sunday, March 25, 2000 – Washington DC

 

Executive Committee - Sunday Evening Planning Meeting

Renaissance Hotel

 

Note on this version: This document was placed here as a draft, which needs to be approved at the next meeting in San Francisco, September 2001. If this statement is still visible here after September 2001, it means the page was not updated. Unless a major change during the approval is made, this page is likely to stay in the draft format indefinetly. If you see a major error contact Petr Vanýsek. Since he is on sabbatical leave and extended leave,  working with a company and may not be readily accessible, you may want to contact the web master of the main page instead.

 

Present:

Simon Ang,Shekhor Bhonsali, Cindy Bruckner-Lea, Jim Burgess, Gene Chalyt, Dick Crooks, Peter Hesketh, Zhiyu (Jerry) Hu, Henry Hughes, Gary Hunter, Jacques Leibovitz, Changming Li, Jing Li, Ingemar Lundström, Durga Misra, Bill Penrose, Krishna Persaud, Bob Ruedisueli, Joe Stetter, Ed Stokes, Dennis Turner, Petr Vanýsek

 

Meeting called to order at 20:52 by Joe Stetter

 

1.  Dennis Turner has written a history of the division for the Centennial issue.  Final edition is due soon—comments are needed. See Dennis Turner, Cindy Bruckner-Lea or Joe Stetter for a copy to review. Dennis would like pictures of past outstanding achievement award winners to add to the article (ECS should have these on file—or he could add updated photos).

 

2.  The minutes of the previous Executive Committee Meeting were approved.

3.  Treasurer’s report:

Custodian Fund:

Jan 1, 2000 balance: 23,642.67

December 31, 2000 balance: 30,466.36

Outstanding Achievement Award

            Jan 1, 2000 balance: 6,431.84

                        Interest: 385.91

                        Award deduction: 1049.00

            Dec 31, 2000 balance: 5,768.75

           

4.  Joe Stetter suggested a transfer of funds from the custodial account to award account. The goal would be to eventually make the award account self-sustaining. Peter Hesketh motioned to transfer $10K to the award account. Petr Vanysek discussed the fact that the interest is the same for the award and custodian account, but the award account is not accessible for other purposes, if needed.  There is a minimum balance for the award account that we need to maintain. (Need to check this amount).  This discussion of the transfer of funds was tabled until next meeting in SF.

 

5.  Student travel grants were discussed.

(Misra) Dielectric Science/Electronic Division guidelines:  gives 300-600 to a maximum of 5 students. They typically do not use all of this funding. The student is required to present a paper to receive funding.  It is generally a challenge to attract students to meetings. Example: Phoenix meeting—no students applied, this meeting—2 students applied.

P. Hesketh suggested that the Sensor Division increase the student awards to a maximum of 1800/year and $600 per meeting. The following discussion indicated that this should be defined on a per meeting basis. The current application procedure was discussed:  part of the application specifies the need, the application for funding occurs after a paper is accepted, and the application is due at least 1 month before the meeting. Someone also indicated that ECS will start sending reminders to students that submit papers about this fellowship. It was also suggested that it would be helpful if ECS chose meeting locations with reasonable costs for travel to encourage more student attendance.

Motion: $1200 per meeting maximum, $600 per student maximum

Motion is approved.

 

Motion that unspent money is not carried over to the next meeting.

Approved.

 

Vanysek comment: Would be nice to also keep a list of awardees.

 

6.  San Francisco Meeting (Abstracts and proceedings papers are due April 2, 2001).

There will be one large sensor symposium. Co-sponsors: ECS Physical Electrochemistry, ECS Organic and Biological, ISE Analytical Electrochemistry, and ISE Bioelectrochemistry.  Sessions will be broken down depending on submissions. A proceedings volume will be available at the meeting.

Vanysek: Request $1800 in funding for 6 registrations for the SF meeting.  Request is approved.

There will also be a short course on Electroanalytical Sensors at this meeting.

 

7.  Philadelphia Spring 2002 (Abstracts Due Jan 1, 2002)

• Microfabricated Systems and MEMs VI: (Sensor/Dielectric/Electronics): Hesketh, Ang, Davidson, Hughes, Misra, Davidson. 

Would like 9-10 invited keynote speakers

Hesketh: Request $1000 to support MEMs, 3 days, proceedings volume planned. Approved.

 

• Wide Bandgap Semiconductors for Photonic and Electronic Devices and Sensors (Electronics/Sensor divisions; Stokes from Sensor division is helping organize the symposium) symposium. This was previously a different symposium called “Sensors for Semiconductor process monitoring”. Motion from Stokes to combine with Electronics division to form the above symposium is approved. Stokes expects to obtain some GE sponsorship for this symposium.

Stokes: request for Sensor Division to fund 1 registration

Hughes: believes income is split proportionally to contribution—Stetter will check into this.

Motion for $300 for registration for someone in the Sensor area. Approved.

 

• Sensing in Industrial and Extreme applications (Sensor): D. Cernosek, Stetter, Widener. This is one is on track.

 

• Chemically  Modified Electrodes (Physical/OBE/Sensor): Bartlett, Taniguchi, Lennox, Marsan. Is this still on? No one at the Sensor Executive Committee meeting was involved with this symposium---any Sensor Division organizers?

 

Microanalytical Devices and Instrumentation (Physical/OBE/Sensor): McCarley only organizer listed (no one in Sensor division listed as organizer)

 

Secretary’s note: there is now a Nanotechnology Session listed on the ECS Web page that is sponsored by all Divisions at the Philadelphia  meeting. The call for papers indicates that  nanotechnology for sensors is included. Bruckner-Lea will volunteer to help organize this symposium if help is needed.

 

8.  Crooks: expressed concern about last minute changes made in symposia. Discussion indicated that it would be a good idea in the future to send e-mail to Executive Committee Members to discuss changes. Co-sponsorship should first be approved, and funding approved separately. Stetter indicated that the co-sponsorship listings are decided (preliminary decisions) at meetings held after all of the Division meetings.

 

9.  There was extensive discussion that ECS needs a better mechanism for ensuring that co-sponsorship is desired and that co-organizers from each Division are really willing to help in organizing the symposium.

Example given by Crooks: names often get added to be organizers without their knowledge. There should be a mechanism to contact people to confirm they are organizers.  For a symposium started by another division at this meeting—Sensor Division co-sponsored the symposium, and organizer names were added without their knowledge The Sensor Division organizers (added without their knowledge) ended up organizing the symposium completely, and the other  co-sponsoring divisions did not help at all.

Stetter’s comment regarding   co-sponsorship: co-organizers should help get speakers, write call for papers, etc.

Question: Should calls for papers be sent to Executive Committee?  Joe will do this in the future when he receives these.

 

10. SLC Meeting Fall 2002

• Acoustic Wave Sensors (Hillman, Zellers, Martin, Cernosek)

• Solid State Ionic Devices III Ceramic Sensors . Should we cosponsor this one---yes. Vanysek will help from Sensor

• Combinatory electrode arrays and electrochemical systems —P. Hesketh will help from Sensor

• Sensing systems: (includes packaging CMOS systems/technology and biosensor  systems) Gary Hunter, Shekhor Bhonsali, , Cindy Bruckner-Lea, and Joe Stetter volunteered to organize this one.

 

Paris: Spring 2003

Some ideas:

Biosensors

Electroanalytical Sensors

 

12. General discussion of future symposia topics:

Rotate several general topics rather than have specific symposium topics (Bruckner-Lea)

Other ideas:  Packaging, general sessions, another joint nitride/sensors (Stokes) when this is offered again, Biosensors, nanotechnology for sensors, impedance-based sensors

What would people be interested in attending—could we send out a survey?

 

13. Newsletter—Gene Chalyt will prepare the next Sensor Division Newsletter (Cindy Bruckner-Lea has been doing this for several years and will help with the transition).

 

23:05 meeting adjourned. 

Respectfully submitted by Cindy Bruckner-Lea, Secretary/Treasurer.

 

Web version prepared by Petr Vanýsek 16 May 2001. No electrons used in production of this document were harmed or injured in any way.