Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of the Sensor Division of the ECS

San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, Texas, May 9, 2004

 

Meeting called to order by Cindy Bruckner-Lea at 8:45 pm

 

In attendance:

 

Cindy Bruckner-Lea (PNNL), Gary Hunter (NASA GRC), Rangachary Mukundan (LANL), Peter J. Hesketh (Georgia Tech), Jay W. Grate (PNNL), and Jing Li (NASA)

 

1. The minutes from the last meeting in Orlando were approved.

 

2. Treasurer’s Report:

Custodian account:

Jan. 1, 2003,      Balance = $38,954.99

June 30, 2003,   Balance = $40366.13

Dec 31, 2003,     Balance = $42,641.43

 

Outstanding Achievement award account:

Jan. 1, 2003,      Balance = $6426.22

June 30, 2003,   Balance = $5589.22

Dec. 31, 2003,   Balance = $5771.79

 

3. Sensor Division Outstanding Achievment Award

Winner:  Noburu Yamazoe

Contact him and make sure he is attending the Hawaii meeting and presenting a talk.

 

4. New executive committee.  Need to update list and attract new members.  Rob Hilaman wants to stay on and sponsor acoustic wave symposium.  Need help in talking to colleagues, to get things going.  Try to get Boris Mizaikoff, another is Zoraida Aguilar.  Update executive committee list on the web site.  Henry Hughes retired.  Need to get this list ready soon, before the Hawaii meeting.  Needs to be approved in Hawaii.

 

5. ECS business (Troy Miller) suggested new format for division business meetings.  Decided to keep meeting at the luncheon.  Will try to sponsor students etc. (Peter) Division sponsor 10 tickets to be distributed by session chair and officers to encourage participation in the division (Gary) and to provide spare tickets when necessary.  First try to sell and then give away. Peter propose, Grate seconds. All in favor.  Motion carried.

 

6. Interface: Summer 2004, Sensor Division highlight

Summer issue all set to go.  Title will be “Emerging sensor technologies”.  Three articles and one tutorial have been submitted

  1. Chemical microsensors; Liu, Peter, and Gary

  2. Electrochem. Sensors for transportation and energy; Mukund and Fernando

  3. Bio sensor systems for homeland security; Cindy

One Tutorial on glass electrode (Peter vanysek)

 

Cindy will e-mail articles to all of us and Mary Yess will choose front cover.

 

7. Future Symposia Planning

 

206th Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii

October 3-8, 2004

 

Need 3 sponsored registrations for chemical sensors (Cindy propose, Mukund second).  All in favor.  Motion carried.

 

Need 3 registration for MEMS VII, electronics 3 and sensors 3 (Peter propose, Gary second).  All in favor.  Motion carried.

 

Offer 1 sponsorship to electrophoresis and microfuidics (Cindy propose, Gary second) All in favor.  Motion carried.

 

Peter is waiting to get money from NSF for travel.  Troy Miller can help draft letters to companies to get money for sponsorship.

 

Cindy will send reminder for Hawaii meeting

 

The calls for the following symposia are out.

 

Chemical Sensors VI: Chemical and Biological Sensors and Analytical Systems

C. Bruckner-Lea, P. Vanysek, G. Hunter, M. Egashira, N, Miura, F. Mizutani

(Sensor)

PV available at the meeting.

 

Microfabricated Systems and MEMS VII

P. Hesketh, H. Hughes, Misra, Ang

(Sensor/Electronics/Dielectric Science and Technology/Electronics)

PV available at the meeting

 

Electrophoresis and Microfluidics

P. Vanysek, I, Fritsch, A. Ricco, J. Stetter, Baba, Kitamori

(Phys Echem/Sensor)

 

Bioelectrochemistry, Biosensor, and Biodevice Technology

H. Matsuoka, T. Matsue, I. Taniguchi, J.F. Rusling, F.M. Hawkridge, C. Bruckner-Lea

(OBE/Sensor)

 

207th Meeting, Quebec City, Canada

May 15-20, 2005

 

Draft is out.

 

Impedance based sensors: Peter V. and Vladim

Sensors using nanotechnology: first in San Antonio, then redo here. Is it too soon? This is an exploding field.  Should be OK.  Keep it at this meeting.

Peter and Shekar will help with general session.

Micro GC and miniature analytical instrument session. Peter H.

Cindy:  4 is enough, change it to another one.

Move nano tech from quebec to LA (18 months).

Do it every year for a few years to establish this is a base for nanotechnology and sensors.

Other people IEEE AiCHE are all doing nano.  So it might be worth it to do it every year.

 

Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session

G. Hunter, J. Stetter, Peter Hesketh, Shekar Bonsali, C. Bruckner-Lea

(Sensor)

 

Impedance-based Sensors

Vadim Lvovich, P. Vanysek, P. Hesketh

(Sensor)

 

Sensors using Nanotechnology II

C. Bruckner-Lea, G. Hunter

(Sensor)

 

Environmental, Fuel Cell, and Advanced Automotive Sensors

R. Mukundan, S. Akbar , F. DiMeo, M.A. Ryan,

(Sensor/Energy)

 

Electrochemistry of Biological and Environmental Sensors

S. Calabrese-Barton, J. Prakash, K. Pagilla, J. Stetter. G. Hunter

(Energy/Sensor)

 

Electrochemistry of Nanostructured Materials

K. Zaghib, C. Julien, R. McConnell.

(Energy/Sensor)

 

Nanostructured and Functionalized Conducting Polymer Films

P. Kulesza, M. Vorotyntsev, C. Bruckner-Lea

(Phys Echem/Sensor)

**Needs new sensor division representative

 

New Directions in Electroanalytical Systems

M. Mirkin, R. McCarley

 (Physical Echem/Sensor)

**need Sensor Division rep.  Stetter, Bruckner-Lea??

 

208th Meeting, Los Angeles, CA

October 16-21, 2005

Ideas:

·        Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session (Hunter)

·        Sensor arrays---talk to Joe Stetter: Electronic nose.  ISOEN Artificial chemical sensors.

·        Electro-optical sensors  Naresh Das

·        Biosensors

·        Acoustic Wave-based Sensors (last was in Fall 2002): Zellers/Hillman/Cernosek?? Need to ask them.

·        Sensor for Homeland Security: Cindy Bruckner-Lea

 

209th Meeting, Denver Colorado

May 7-12, 2006

(don’t need yet)

MEMS/NEMS VIII (would be 3 meetings, or in Fall 2006?)

Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session (Hunter)

New Sensor Materials

Acoustic Wave sensor (Venkat Bhonsali will take lead)

 

210th Meeting, Washington DC

October 8-13, 2006

Chemical Sensors VII (with PV)

MEMS VIII (with PV)

Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session (Hunter)

 

8. Other Issues

 

a)      From Peter : Proposal to form the fuel cell group at the ECS.  Sensor division will abstain if there is a vote.

b)      Proposed ECS transactions

Editor, editorial board. Some PV in hard copy, the rest is electronic.

This will be submitted online and review is also done online.  Six months after the meeting, the proceedings volume will close.  Purchase later electronically either individually or as an entire symposium.  Present in usual databases.  Review, up to organizers.  Revenue could go up, individual paper sales have gone up.  PV revenue is going down.  Currently revenue is shared 60/40 = division/ECS.  This will be changed to 55/35/10 = division/ECS/maintenance.  Abstracts will also be archived, free to everyone.  Jan-Feb 2005, launch.

Discussion on Tuesday morning at 9:00am at the publications committee meeting.  E-mail Mary Yess on this stuff if you have questions.

 

10:00pm Meeting adjourned by Cindy.