Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of the Sensor Division of the ECS

Hilton Hawaiian Village, Honolulu, Hawaii, Oct 3, 2004


Meeting called to order by Cindy Bruckner-Lea at 8:30pm


In attendance:


Cindy Bruckner-Lea (PNNL), Gary Hunter (NASA GRC), Rangachary Mukundan (LANL), Peter J. Hesketh (Georgia Tech), Joe Stetter (IIT), Mira Josowicz (Georgia Tech), Saeweon Roh (IIT) and Yen-Te Chao (IIT).


1.      The minutes from the last meeting in San Antonio were approved.


2.      Treasurer’s Report:


Custodian account:

Jan. 1, 2003,      Balance = $38,954.99

June 30, 2003,   Balance = $40,366.13

Dec 31, 2003,     Balance = $42,641.43

June 30, 2004,   Balance = $43,908.08


Outstanding Achievement award account:

Jan. 1, 2003,      Balance = $6426.22

June 30, 2003,   Balance = $5589.22

Dec. 31, 2003,   Balance = $5771.79

June 30, 2004,   Balance = $5944.79


3.      Following are the Nominations for Sensor Division Officers and Executive Committee Members to serve from Fall 2004- Fall 2006:


Members at Large:


Past chair:

Divisional Advisor:

At the Division Luncheon on Tuesday October 5, we will include any additional nominees from the floor and vote on the slate of officers for 2004-2006. According to the Sensor Division Bylaws, the Executive committee must include at least 2 members, but there is no limit to the number of members at large.


10/5/04:Additional nominee from floor during the Business Luncheon

[All nominees above were elected during the Business meeting on 10/05/05]


4.      Student Travel awards-revisit guidelines

Current guidelines:

Discussion: Currently there are typically 2-5 award recipients per year. Try and decrease the award amount given per person, and give the award to more people to encourage student involvement in ECS. Should publicize as much as possible to get more applicants. Currently the travel awards are only advertised in Interface (and maybe the application is available on the ECS website).  Suggestion was made to also advertise on the ECS Sensor Division web page.  Peter Hesketh has been the point of contact for the student awards for several years.  Cindy will get someone else to do this and give the name to Troy Miller. The new point of contact will need to work with ECS to update the application to post the application in Interface on the on the ECS webpage.

Motion to provide free registration to the first 6 students applying for the award at each meeting, or up to 12 registrations for each calendar year proposed by Joe Stetter and seconded by Peter Hesketh.  Motion Carried.

Note: Student registration cost is currently $135, so 12 registrations will cost $1620.


5.      Guidelines for funding sponsored/co-sponsored symposia.

Motion to make this the sponsor policy proposed by Mukund

Second this by Peter Hesketh.  Motion carried.


6.      Outstanding Achievement Award

Chair for the Outstanding Achievement Award Committee will be appointed in the next week (Cindy or new Chair: need to notify Troy Miller when the committee chair is appointed). The suggestion was made to provide travel costs and/or registration for the award recipient.

Peter Hesketh moves to cover meeting registration for the Sensor Division Awardee, in addition to the $1000 honorarium given for the award. Joe seconds.  Motion carried.


7.       Symposium Funding Requests

Request from High Temperature  Materials Diviaino to provide $2000 in funding for the Solid State Ionics conference to be held in Los Angeles.  This symposium includes a proceedings volume, and has been co-sponsored by the Sensor Division in the past. There was some discussion, and it was decided that two registrations will be sponsored by the Sensor Division, as per our guidelines.


8.      Interface Committee update (Cindy Bruckner-Lea)

Focus on education will be highlighted in an upcoming.

One topic being discussed is outreach work from K to high school.  NSF promotes interaction with schools.  Peter Hesketh has done some work on this at G-tech.  He will be the Sensor Division point of contact.

Joe suggests that we do some kind of outreach at the local meeting?  Society can set up something with the local outreach committee and division folks can contribute time.  Eg.  Our scientists can do a demo to the teachers and students that are brought here for the society.  Website type experiments.  Get all the information from the sensor division to give back to Interface if they need it.


Summary of committee representatives needed, and new policies:

9.      Future Symposia Planning

At this meeting: There is a conflict between nanotechnology and biosensors at our symposium. The conflict is not obvious based only upon the titles of the symposia. The suggestion was made to talk to the Nanotechnology group about organizing the sensor papers together, and making sure they don’t conflict with sensor symposia.  In general, it would be good to have ECS staff (preferred) or Division representatives look at meeting schedule before it is finalized to be sure there are no major scheduling conflicts of symposia that include papers on similar topics. Joe Stetter offered to follow up on this.


207th Meeting, Quebec City, Canada

May 15-20, 2005


Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session

G. Hunter, J. Stetter, Peter Hesketh, Shekar Bhansali



Impedance-based Sensors

Vadim Lvovich, P. Vanysek, D. Hansen

(Sensor/Phys Echem/Corrosion)


Environmental, Fuel Cell, and Advanced Automotive Sensors

R. Mukundan, S. Akbar , F. DiMeo, M.A. Ryan,



Nanostructured and Functionalized Conducting Polymer Films

P. Kulesza, M. Vorotyntsev, Jing Li, J.A. Cox, P. Schmuki

(Phys Echem/Sensor/Corrosion)


Biomolecular Sensors and Arrays

J. Rusling, C. Bruckner-Lea

(Phys Echem/Sensor)


Combinatorial Electrochemistry of Sensing Materials and Methodologies

  A. Yudin, W. Schuhmann, G. Smotkin, Yuehe Lin

(Phys Echem/Sensor/OBE


**Possible short course on nanotechnology—given by Professor Wang at Georgia Tech




208th Meeting, Los Angeles, CA

October 16-21, 2005

(final list of topics)

**Calls for papers needed by Monday, Oct. 11, 2004


**Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session

G. Hunter



**Acoustic Wave-based Sensors

V. Bhethanabotla, R. Hillman, R. Cernosek, J. Grate, D. Malocha



**Microcantilever Sensors

P. Hesketh, T. Thundat, Z. Hu



**Sensors based on Nanotechnology II

C. Bruckner-Lea, J. Stetter, Jing Li, M. Josowicz (?)


Nitrides and Wide Band Gap Semiconductors for Sensors, Photonics, and Electronics

R. Fitch, E. Stokes, P.H. Shen, P.C. Chang, R.E. Enstrom



Solid State Ionic Devices

E. Waschman, F. Garzon. R. Mukundan

(High temp materials/Sensor)


Environmental Electrochemistry

 M. Mirkin, G. Pillay, Sensor Division: T. Zellers (?), D. Makel (?)

(Phys Echem/OBE/IEEE/Sensor)


Biological and Medical Applications of Luminescent Materials

L. Shea Rohwer, U. Happek, J. Burgess, C. Bruckner-Lea

(Luminescence and Display Materials, OBE, Sensor)


(?) = potential organizer that will be contacted to see if they are interested in helping



209th Meeting, Denver Colorado

May 7-12, 2006

(tentative list)

·        Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session (G. Hunter)

·        New Sensor Materials (Sensor/DS&T) M. Josowicz (?), J. Li (?)

·        Biosensor Systems (Sensor) C. Bruckner-Lea, A. Simonian


210th Meeting, Cancun, MX

October 29-Nov 3, 2006

(tentative list)

·              Chemical Sensors VII: Chemical and Biological Sensors and Analytical Systems (G. Hunter)

·              Microfabricated and Nanofabricated Systems (MEMS/NEMS) VIII (Sensor, DS&T, Electronics) P. Hesketh

·              Biological Nanostructures, Materials and Applications (Nanotechnology, Sensor)



Recurring Symposia:

MEMs every 3 or 4 meetings (recently: Fall, even years) Begin MEMS/NEMS in Spring 2006

Acoustic Wave Based Sensors every ~4 meetings (Fall, odd years)

Big Sensor Session Every 4 meetings (usually Fall, even years)

Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session (most meetings, unless there are already a wide range of sensor-related sessions, began Spring 2003)

Sensors Based on Nanotechnology (every 3 meetings, began Spring 2004)


Meeting adjourned at 10:30pm