Minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of the Sensor Division of the ECS

Hilton Quebec, Quebec City, Canada, May 15, 2005

 

Meeting called to order by Gary Hunter at 8:30pm

 

In attendance:

 

Gary Hunter (NASA GRC), Rangachary Mukundan (LANL), Jing Li (NASA, ARC), Darby Makel (Makel Engineering, Inc.), Tatsumi Ishihara (Kyushu University), Christine Kranz (Georgia Tech), Vadim Lvovich (Lubrizol), Rob Hillman (U of Leicester, UK), Ying-Lan Chang (Agilent Tech).

 

1.      The minutes from the last meeting in Hawaii were approved.

 

2.      Treasurer’s Report:

 

Custodian account:

June 30, 2004,   Balance = $43,908.08

First addition posted on 2/4/05 = $3,850.93

Second addition posted on 2/16/05 = $969.65

No official balance statement has been received.

 

Outstanding Achievement award account:

June 30, 2004,   Balance = $5944.79

No update on this account. No official balance statement has been received.

 

3.         Possibility of Student Rep to the Board

No student showed up in this meeting. Wait for the contact of student for Rep to the board.

 

4.      Guidelines for funding sponsored/co-sponsored symposia.

·         When requested to provide financial support to a symposium without a PV: Provide up to 1 registration to symposia that the Sensor Division sponsors/co-sponsors ($360-$560), if the lead division also provides at least one complimentary registration.

·         When requested to provide financial support to a symposium with a PV: Provide up to 2 registrations to symposia with a PV, if the lead organization also provides 2 complimentary registrations ($720-$1220).

·         Exceptions to these guidelines must be approved by the Executive Committee.

·        Majority of officers have the authority to commit up to 6 times a year mentioned in above 3 guidelines. If over 6 times, it requires majority of Executive Committee members voting.

 

Motion to make this additional rule was proposed by Darby Makel.

All in favor.

 

5.         By Law Changes (Discussion Only)

            There are no By Law changes in this Division meeting. Discussions regarding possible By-Law Changes by ECS Board of Directors including changes in voting procedure,  funding of Division by ECS membership, and changing text in the Division By-Laws from Chairman to Chair.

 

6.       Symposium Funding Requests

We should follow the guidelines set in 4. There was some discussion, and no specifics. The general idea was to spend money wisely, since we are accumulating money now. Example is to organize an attractive symposium to boost the interest to the sensor division by inviting and supporting valuable speakers.

 

7.      Interface Committee update (G. Hunter)

One request was to get every division submit an article talking about what is electrochemistry, and what divisions do in regard to electrochemistry education. This is an outreach work from K to high school proposed in last meeting at Hawaii.  Gary went to the meeting instead of  Peter Hesketh since he cannot come to this meeting. Peter will be the Sensor Division point of contact.

 

Summary of committee representatives needed:

·        Individual membership rep: Rangachary Mukundan, Ph.D. (Los Alamos National Laboratory)

·         Nanotechnology committee: Jing Li, Ph.D. (NASA Ames Research Center)

·         New technology committee:  Rob Hillman, Prof. (University of Leicester, UK) for the Quebec meeting.

 

8.      Future Symposia Planning

 

 

208th Meeting, Los Angeles, CA

October 16-21, 2005

(final list of topics)

 

**Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session

G. Hunter, R. Mukundan, J.R. Stetter (Sensor)

 

**Acoustic Wave-based Sensors

V. Bhethanabotla, R. Hillman, R. Cernosek, J. Grate, D. Malocha

(Sensor)

 

**Microcantilever Sensors

P. Hesketh, T. Thundat, Z. Hu

(Sensor)

 

**Sensors based on Nanotechnology II

C. Bruckner-Lea, J.R. Stetter, J. Li, M. Josowicz, Z. Aguilar, C. Kranz

 

Nitrides and Wide Band Gap Semiconductors for Sensors, Photonics, and Electronics

R.C. Fitch, D.W. Merfeld, E. Stokes, P.H. Shen, K. Shiojima, P. Asbeck

(Electronics/Sensor)

 

Solid State Ionic Devices

E.D. Wachsman, F.H. Garzon, E. Traversa, R. Mukundan, V. Birss

(High temp materials/Sensor)

 

Environmental Electrochemistry

 G. Pillay, P. Vanysek, M. Tokuda, D. Makel

(Phys Echem/OBE/IEEE/Sensor)

 

Biological and Medical Applications of Luminescent Materials

L. Shea Rohwer, U. Happek, J. Burgess, C. Bruckner-Lea

(Luminescence and Display Materials, OBE, Sensor)

 

 

209th Meeting, Denver Colorado

May 7-12, 2006

SENSORS, ACTUATORS, AND MICROSYSTEMS-GENERAL SESSION
Organizers: G. Hunter, R. Mukundan, S. Bhansali
BIOSENSOR SYSTEMS
Organizers: A. Simonian, C Bruckner-Lea, Z. Aguilar
 NEW SENSOR MATERIALS
Organizers: J. Li, M. Josowicz, D. Hatchett, M.J. Deen, and S. Akbar

 

 

210th Meeting, Cancun, MX

October 29-Nov 3, 2006

(tentative list)

·  Chemical Sensors VII: Chemical and Biological Sensors and Analytical Systems, (Sensor)

Organizers: G. Hunter, R. Mukundan

·  Microfabricated and Nanofabricated Systems (MEMS/NEMS) VIII (Sensor, DS&T, Electronics)

Organizers: P. Hesketh, G. Hunter, J. Li

·    Biological Nanostructures, Materials and Applications (Nanotechnology, Sensor)

Organizer: C Bruckner-Lea Vadim, C. Kranz

·    Bio medical and clinical Sensors

Organizers: C. Kranz, Y. Chang

 

 

Ideas for Chicago

1. Electron Transfer at sensor Nanostructured interfaces

2. Sensor, Actuator and Microsystems – General Session

3. Sensor based on Nanotechnology III

 

Note: There is no change to following recurring symposia.

 

Recurring Symposia:

MEMs every 3 or 4 meetings (recently: Fall, even years) Begin MEMS/NEMS in Spring 2006

Acoustic Wave Based Sensors every ~4 meetings (Fall, odd years)

Big Sensor Session Every 4 meetings (usually Fall, even years)

Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems – General Session (most meetings, unless there are already a wide range of sensor-related sessions, began Spring 2003)

Sensors Based on Nanotechnology (every 3 meetings, began Spring 2004)

 

Additional discussions:

1.      Gary requested the general comments on the division vision. There are concerns on the way symposia are organized. We need to have cross-talk with other divisions, but must also distinguish ourselves from other divisions and attract more people to our division. The general consensus was not to change our division vision, but wording more specifically when we write a call for paper. Gary will send out a message to request feedback on how we can do to make our division more compelling with focused core themes, and not be diluted.

2.      Currently, the ECS income decreases dramatically from proceedings volumes (PV). PV will be replaced by Electronic Transactions (ET). This time is the last proceeding. Division is responsible for its electronic transaction associated with symposium (like current proceedings). It can be done in the old way (PV way at division’s choice). ET can be put in something like an e-shopping cart for purchase. To do the PV is an expensive process. The ET can save the cost. The other side will be how much people are willing to do it.

3.      Division membership fee: Suggestions were recommended to ECS HQ that a flat fee for each ECS member will be collected and HQ will allocate some money from membership fee to each division. Non-linear distribution to the population of each division was suggested as well. It is hoped to have a higher distribution rate for a small division like us.

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:40pm