To usher in the new year, ECS is highlighting the articles from the Journal of The Electrochemical Society, the ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, ECS Transactions, and Interface that received the most full-text downloads in 2018.
Please enjoy the articles below, and stay connected with ECS through 2019 for access to more innovative and influential research at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology.
All of the articles in the following roundup are open access/free to read.
Learn about ECS’s Free the Science initiative.
Journal of The Electrochemical Society
- The Development and Future of Lithium Ion Batteries | George E. Blomgren
- A Critical Review of Thermal Issues in Lithium-Ion Batteries | Todd M. Bandhauer, Srinivas Garimella, and Thomas F. Fuller
- Review—Practical Challenges Hindering the Development of Solid State Li Ion Batteries | Kian Kerman, Alan Luntz, Venkatasubramanian Viswanathan, Yet-Ming Chiang, and Zhebo Chen
- Oxygen Release and Its Effect on the Cycling Stability of LiNixMnyCozO2 (NMC) Cathode Materials for Li-Ion Batteries | Roland Jung, Michael Metzger, Filippo Maglia, Christoph Stinner, and Hubert A. Gasteiger
- Review—SEI: Past, Present and Future | E. Peled and S. Menkin
- Calendar Aging of Lithium-Ion Batteries: I. Impact of the Graphite Anode on Capacity Fade | Peter Keil, Simon F. Schuster, Jörn Wilhelm, Julian Travi, Andreas Hauser, Ralph C. Karl, and Andreas Jossen
- Review—Recent Advances and Remaining Challenges for Lithium Ion Battery Cathodes: I. Nickel-Rich, LiNixCoyMnzO2 | Florian Schipper, Evan M. Erickson, Christoph Erk, Ji-Yong Shin, Frederick Francois Chesneau, and Doron Aurbach
- Review—Li Metal Anode in Working Lithium-Sulfur Batteries | Xin-Bing Cheng, Jia-Qi Huang, and Qiang Zhang
- To Be or Not To Be Pseudocapacitive? | Thierry Brousse, Daniel Bélanger, and Jeffrey W. Long
- Direct Copper Pattern Plating on Glass and Ceramic Substrates Using an Al-Doped ZnO as an Adhesive and Conducting Layer | Chia-Wen Cheng, Po-Fan Chan, and Wei-Ping Dow
ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology
- Review—Light Emission from Thin Film Solar Cell Materials: An Emerging Infrared and Visible Light Emitter | Yoshihiko Kanemitsu, Makoto Okano, Le Quang Phuong, and Yasuhiro Yamada
- Chemical Etching and Patterning of Copper, Silver, and Gold Films at Low Temperatures | Tae-Seop Choi and Dennis W. Hess
- Review—The Beautiful Molecule: 30 Years of C60 and Its Derivatives | Steve F. A. Acquah, Anastasia V. Penkova, Denis A. Markelov, Anna S. Semisalova, Branden E. Leonhardt, and James M. Magi
- Review—Silicon Nitride and Silicon Nitride-Rich Thin Film Technologies: Trends in Deposition Techniques and Related Applications | Alain E. Kaloyeros, Fernando A. Jové, Jonathan Goff, and Barry Arkles
- Reduced Graphene Oxide Decorated with Polypyrrole Nanoparticles Layer for Detection of Pyrene Using Surface Plasmon Resonance Technique | Amir Reza Sadrolhosseini, Suraya Abdul Rashid, A. S. M. Noor, H. N. Lim, Y. S. Lim, and Mohd. Adzir Mahdi
- Review—Synthesis, Luminescent Properties, and Stabilities of Cesium Lead Halide Perovskite Nanocrystals | Yoshiki Iso and Tetsuhiko Isobe
- Review—Organic Materials for Thermoelectric Energy Generation | Lewis M. Cowen, Jonathan Atoyo, Matthew J. Carnie, Derya Baran, and Bob C. Schroeder
- Critical Review—Narrow-Band Nitride Phosphors for Wide Color-Gamut White LED Backlighting | Shuxing Li, Rong-Jun Xie, Takashi Takeda, and Naoto Hirosaki
- Perspective—Opportunities and Future Directions for Ga2O3 | Michael A. Mastro, Akito Kuramata, Jacob Calkins, Jihyun Kim, Fan Ren, and S. J. Pearton
- Review—Ionizing Radiation Damage Effects on GaN Devices | S. J. Pearton, F. Ren, Erin Patrick, M. E. Law, and Alexander Y. Polyakov
- Analysis of Battery Safety and Hazards’ Risk Mitigation | Cyrus Ashtiani
- Research Advances towards Low Cost, High Efficiency PEM Electrolysis | Katherine E. Ayers, Everett B. Anderson, Christopher Capuano, Blake Carter, Luke Dalton, Greg Hanlon, Judith Manco, and Michael Niedzwiecki
- Failure Investigation of LiFePO4 Cells under Overcharge Conditions | Fan Xu, Hao He, Clif Dun, YaDong Liu, Mei-xian Wang, Qi Liu, Yang Ren, and Jian Xie
- Electrochemistry Behind Electrocoagulation Using Iron Electrodes | Hector A. Moreno Casillas, David L. Cocke, Jewel A. Gomes, Paul Morkovsky, Jose R. Parga, Eric Peterson, and C Garcia
- Wet Chemical Etching of Wide Bandgap Semiconductors- GaN, ZnO and SiC | Steve Pearton, W Lim, Fan Ren, and David Norton
- Industrial Aluminium Production: the Hall-Heroult Process Modelling | Philippe Mandin, Rolf Wüthrich, and Hervé Roustan
- Chemical Mechanical Planarization Historical Review and Future Direction | Gautam Banerjee and Robert L. Rhoades
- (Invited) Electrolytes, SEI and Charge Discharge Kinetics in Li-Ion Batteries | T. Richard Jow, Jan Allen, Michelle Marx, Kamen Nechev, Bridget Deveney, and Sarah Rickman
- Bevel Edge Treatment for Reduction of Defect Density by Plasma Etch Processes Applied in Silicon Trench Technologies | Georg Ehrentraut
- Molten Salts and Ionic Liquids – Are They Not the Same Thing? | John S. Wilkes
- Toyota MIRAI Fuel Cell Vehicle and Progress Toward a Future Hydrogen Society | Toshihiko Yoshida and Koichi Kojima
- A General Discussion of Li Ion Battery Safety | Daniel H. Doughty and E. Peter Roth
- Additive Manufacturing: Rethinking Battery Design | Corie L. Cobb and Christine C. Ho
- Importance of Coulombic Efficiency Measurements in R&D Efforts to Obtain Long-Lived Li-Ion Batteries | J. R. Dahn, J. C. Burns, and D. A. Stevens
- From the Editor: 1917 | Petr Vanýsek
- Impact of Light Emitting Diode Adoption on Rare Earth Element Use in Lighting: Implications for Yttrium, Europium, and Terbium Demand | Anthony Y. Ku, Anant A. Setlur, and Johnathan Loudis
- Chlor-alkali Production, Safety, and Industry Leadership | Robyn Brooks
- The Emerging Role of Electrodeposition in Additive Manufacturing | Trevor M. Braun and Daniel T. Schwartz
- ECS Classics: Historical Origins of the Rotating Ring-Disk Electrode | Frank Dalton
- Electrochemical Technologies for Water Treatment, Management, and Efficiency | Gerardine G. Botte
The Society thanks its authors and readers for their continued support of ECS publications.
Interested in submitting to ECS publications? Visit the manuscript submission information page for instructions.