What Types of Data Does ECS Collect
ECS collects a variety of information when you visit our website and engage with our services. Constituents who create a login through electrochem.org, ecsdl.org, https://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/jes-ecs, https://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/jss-ecs, ecsarxiv.org, jobs.electrochem.org, ECS mobile app, or engage with other websites or platforms ECS is using to collect information, including partnered vendors and individuals who sign up to receive ECS e-communications, voluntarily provide us with contact information.
Personal Data collected identifies you as an individual or is information that can be linked to you as an individual (“Personal Data”) may include but is not limited to:
- Your contact information, including your (first and last) name, (billing and/or delivery) address, email address, and telephone number. We need your email address and telephone number so that we may contact you if we have questions or information for you regarding your service that we are providing or will provide to you;
- Other information required to be able to process your service request or to provide you with the service, such as information concerning what you have ordered or the service we are providing to you, the billing and/or delivery address, banking and/or credit card details; other current and historical information specific to the programs and services provided by ECS, such as membership engagement, division, section, committee and editorial board involvement, attendance at meetings and events, award, fellowship and travel grant applications and prizes, constituent information pertaining to fundraising activities (including donor history), subscription information to ECS publications, abstract submission to meetings and conferences, manuscript submission to publications (including data to facilitate peer review process and IP address information), marketing and communications engagement, and more;
- If you have created or updated an online profile or account, the preferences, technical expertise, demographic information (age, gender, date of birth, etc.), educational history (including advisor/advisee information), occupation and employer/employee information (including job title and start/end date of employment relationship), professional photographs, biographies, and interests are stored in such profile or account, and;
- If you have contacted customer service, the details of this contact and the contact history.
Manuscript and/or abstract submission to ECS warrants that you have permission to provide Personal Data related to any co-authors and that ECS may use your/their Personal Data with respect to manuscript submissions, peer reviews, and/or publication or presentation at a meeting, event, or conference.
A visit to one of our websites results in data that is transmitted from your browser to our server being automatically collected and stored by us or by third parties on behalf of us. This data can include, in particular, the following:
- The visitor’s IP address
- The date and time of the visit
- The referral URL (the site from which the visitor has come)
- The pages visited on our website
- Information about the browser used (browser type and version, operating system, etc.)
How We Collect Personal Data
In general, a visitor will know when Personal Data is being collected because he or she will have to fill out an online form, complete a survey or application, or reply to an email, for example. In addition, we may collect Personal Data through your use of the website(s) and apps.
Visitors may generally browse public portions of the ECS website anonymously without providing any Personal Data. However, Personal Data is required in connection with registering with one or more of the sites mentioned above. In addition, Personal Data will be requested in connection with the following:
- Account creation
- Membership join, rejoin, or renew process
- Submission of a manuscript or technical content to ECS publications
- Abstract submission to ECS meetings or ECS-sponsored meetings, events, or conferences
- Submission of an online content form
- Mailing list sign-up
- Submission of a survey or evaluation form
- Online purchases such as meeting/event and publications products
As ECS utilizes multiple platforms to conduct business, ECS will also import user information from various systems to ensure all data is centralized to the main Association Management System (AMS).
ECS does not knowingly collect or use any Personal Data from users under 13 years of age.
How We May Use Your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data to provide you with personalized service; send targeted communications and email alerts, answer your requests, process your requested services (i.e., membership, meetings/events, online purchases, content access, abstract or manuscript submission), track your engagement, etc. We may also use your information to track visits to our website. This lets us see which of our features are the most popular so we can better serve our users’ needs. It also allows us provide aggregate data about our traffic (not identifying you personally, but showing how many visitors used which features, for example) to outside parties.
Personal Data may be shared with editors, editorial staff, and others that participate in the peer review and content development process. If a meeting abstract or manuscript submission is accepted for publication, Personal Data is also shared with IOP Publishing and external vendors such as publishers, printers, and hosting companies to facilitate the publication process.
ECS uses “cookie” messages to automatically help provide better services. They remind us who you are and your preferences for our website based on what you’ve done and told us before. The “cookie” is placed in your computer and is read when you come back to our website. Cookies let us take you to the information and features you’re particularly interested in. They also let us track your usage of ECS websites, so we know which parts of our sites are most popular.
If you leave a comment on our site, you may opt-in to saving your name, email address, and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
You can reject cookies or cancel them by instructing your web browser accordingly.
How We Share Information
ECS may provide personal information to third-party agents that have been hired to help provide a requested good or service. Goods and services include but are not limited to:
- Facilitation of the peer review and/or publication of authors’ manuscripts
- Content production, sales, and access
- Collection of author and licensing fees
- Collection of financial transactions through payment processors and collections agencies
- Utilization of cloud-based resources for workflow management
ECS may also provide information to vendors related to sponsorships or exhibits. Visitors may opt-out from the sharing of collected information by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
ECS publically shares the names, affiliations, and email addresses of organizational volunteer leadership (including but not limited to symposium organizers, committee and editorial board members, division, section and student chapter officers, etc.).
ECS reserves the right to disclose without notice any information in its possession if required to do so by law, to protect or defend ECS’s rights or property, or to respond to an emergency.
This Policy only addresses ECS use and disclosure of your Personal Data. ECS websites and apps may contain links to other websites, so please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites, and we are not liable for their misuse of Personal Data.
How You Can Access and Change Information
ECS acknowledges that you have the right to access your Personal Data. In case you request us to remove data, we will respond within a reasonable time frame.
Upon request, ECS will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your Personal Data. You can update or correct your Personal Data or remove it from our system by making a request to us at the contact information provided below. Requests typically receive a response within thirty (30) days. If access cannot be provided within that time frame, we will provide the requesting party with an estimated date by which the information will be provided. If for some reason access is denied, we will provide an explanation of why access has been denied.
Personal Data related to financial transactions are stored indefinitely in record payment history and transaction details.
Personal Data used in relationship to a manuscript submission, peer review, or publication are stored indefinitely in order to address future ethics concerns or violations.
Our Security Measures to Protect Your Personal Data
We are committed to taking reasonable efforts to secure the information that you choose to provide us, and we use a variety of security procedures to help protect against unauthorized access to or alteration, disclosure, or destruction of Personal Data. We restrict access to Personal Data to our employees, volunteers, contractors, and vendors who need to know the information to operate, develop, or improve our services.
We retain your Personal Data for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
The Electrochemical Society
65 South Main Street, Building D
Pennington, New Jersey 08534-2839, USA