Opportunity for ECS Members
ECS is teaming up with Amazon to bring ECS members the Amazon Catalyst at ECS. ECS members have an opportunity to interact with one of the world’s largest companies and potentially be awarded a grant to tackle a number of different challenges.
Amazon Catalyst is committing up to $100,000 to help fund the selected ideas
Through the catalyst program ECS and Amazon are looking for solutions that make life easier, healthier, more sustainable, more enjoyable, or more satisfying. The Amazon Catalyst at ECS is a prime vehicle for change. You don’t have to be established in your field – you just need a good solution and the passion to carry it out.
The challenge was announced at the 233rd ECS Meeting in Seattle, WA. The deadline for submissions was July 2, 2018 at 2359 PDT.
Below are the recipients of the funding grants. They were awarded $87,600 in funding support.
Proposal: Using Nanotechnology for Electrosynthesis of Nitrogen-based Fertilizer under Ambient Conditions
Proposal: Carbon Catalysts for Cost-Efficient Hydrogen Production in PEM Electolyzers
Jennifer Schaefer and Peng He
Proposal: Magnesium-Polysulfide Flow Batteries
Sampath Kommandur and Aravindh Rajan
Proposal: Active Control of Heat Flow in Quantum Computing Applications through Piezoelectric Induced Mechanical Strain
You can learn more about the 2018 program requirements by review the archived material below.
How do I apply for an Amazon Catalyst grant?
Follow these submission instructions. (Word doc)
Deadline for submission: July 2, 2018 at 2359h PDT
Below are the challenges related to electrochemical and solid state science and technology that need to be solved.
- Any topic you want to propose!
Biomedical and Health
- How will the confluence of electrochemistry and neural stimulation of the brain and muscles impact biomedical engineering?
- Superbug resistant materials and coatings for hospitals, clothing and public spaces.
- How can wearable health interfaces and computer monitoring systems revolutionize clinical medicine?
Energy Conversion and Energy Storage
- Electrochemical energy conversion and energy storage, energy harvesting.
- How to cost effectively integrate natural habitat into solar and wind assets.
- Ultra-low cost and sustainable energy storage for very large capacity use.
- Innovations in high energy density batteries (electric flight?).
- Reversible oxygen reduction catalysts for energy conversion and energy storage.
- 3D printed energy storage and batteries.
Infrastructure and Industry
- Ubiquitous sensors for the Internet of Things.
- Can we develop systems to co-produce electricity and clean water?
- Designing transportation, energy, and water infrastructure to last longer without failing.
- Smart window, green roof technologies for smart cities.
- Modular, point-of-use electrochemical synthesis of high value products like chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- Processing of materials for quantum computing.
- Ultra-low latency 5G networking for dense networks communication (concerted drone flight).
- Multi-material additive manufacturing and printing.
- How will AI change edge computing?
Water Treatment, CO2 Reduction, and Environmental Responsibility
- How do we scrub 400pmm CO2 from atmosphere, CO2 capture, CO2 to chemical feedstocks?
- Water purification, water desalination, lead ion monitoring/removal, and waste water treatment.
- Fertilizer improvements/innovations, minimize run-off, irrigations improvements/impact minimization.
- Efficient chemical synthesis/conversion for waste plastic recycling for value-added second use.
- Can we safely store highly radioactive materials for times of 100,000 years or longer?