ECS President | 1954-1955
Marvin J. Udy was born in Farmington, Utah on February 19, 1892. He graduated with a B.S. degree from the University of Utah in 1915 and received the M.S. degree from the same school in1916. In the two years following, he was assistant research chemist at the U.S. Mining and Smelting Corporation of Utah. Mr. Udy came east in 1918 to join the Hooker Electrochemical Company and later became chief chemist and research engineer of the Haynes Stellite Company. While there, he developed a process for cadmium plating, the patents for which formed the basis of the Udylite Process Company. He was employed for eleven years by Electrometallurgy Company of Niagara Falls.
He joined the Swann Chemical Company in 1931. After this he became research and development engineer for Oldbury Electrochemical Company. In 1938, Udy developed “Chrom-X” for the Chromium Mining and Smelting Company. “Chrom-X” is an exothermic ferro-chromium produced from low-grade chromite ores. It found use in the steel industry. He became a consultant in metallurgical and electrochemical engineering. Mr. Udy received the Schoellkoff Medal in 1948.
Marvin Udy joined The Electrochemical Society in 1919. He served for three years as a Manager. He was Vice-Chairman and Chairman of the Niagara Falls Local Section. He was General Chairman of the 1950 Society convention in Buffalo. Udy was elected Vice-President of the Society in 1951 and President in 1954.