Visa and Travel Info

Depending on where you live, certain entry requirements must be met to visit the United States. While some travelers need only a valid passport, most require a visa.

U.S. immigration law determines the type of visa required according to the purpose of your visit. Unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program, most meeting attendees require a U.S. Visitor Visa (B-1).

Visitor Visa
Use the following information for travel to the United States to conduct temporary business.

If you require a U.S. visa to attend the PRiME meeting, we recommend starting the application process three to four months in advance of the meeting. As some U.S. consulates have backlogs in scheduling visa interviews, applicants should first consult the U.S. Department of State’s visa appointment and processing wait times website.

Visit U.S. Visa Information for Foreign Travelers for further information.

Tips for successful visa applications:
  • Apply early! Apply at least three to four months before your planned travel date.
  • Complete your application fully and accurately.
  • Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
  • Provide proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership, and meeting registration.
  • Request an ECS Letter of Invitation to receive a letter of invitation on ECS letterhead via email.
  • If the application center requires an in-person interview, dress professionally, and prepare for your interview by being able to describe your intentions clearly and concisely.
Travel Resources
  • The International Visitors Office (IVO) is a program operated by the Board on International Scientific Organizations. The IVO serves as a resource on visa-related issues for The National Academies, Academy members, as well as scientists and students traveling to the United States for professional activities.
Visa Waiver Program

Citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program do not require a visa for short visits to the United States for temporary business. Travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program requires ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) approval.

Questions or Concerns?

We are happy to answer your questions about international travel. Contact today.

Meeting Locations

Hawaii Convention Center, 1801 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815
Hilton Hawaiian Village, 2005 Kalia Road, Honolulu, HI 96815

Discover Honolulu

Whether you’ve been to Honolulu before or not, be sure to get out and about at the end of the day. You won’t be disappointed!

It’s never too early to start thinking about where to eat. With an amazing dining scene that satisfies all tastes and budgets, Honolulu is sure to provide memorable meals.

Do you want to explore the city during your off hours or are you traveling with friends and family looking for memorable experiences? Either way, check the rich variety of available options.

For more detailed visitor and travel information about Honolulu, click here.