Depending on where you live, certain entry requirements must be met to visit the United States. While some travelers need only a valid passport, most require a visa.
U.S. immigration law defines the type of visa required depending on the purpose of your visit. Unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program, most meeting attendees require a U.S. Visitor Visa (B-1).
For travel to the United States to conduct temporary business.
If you require a U.S. Visa to attend the ECS meeting, we recommend starting the application process three to four months in advance of the meeting. As some U.S. consulates have backlogs in scheduling visa interviews, applicants should first consult the U.S. Department of State’s visa appointment and processing wait times website.
Visit U.S. Visa Information for Foreign Travelers for further information.
Tips for successful visa applications:
- Apply Early! Apply at least three to four months before your planned travel date.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
- Provide proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership, and meeting registration.
- Request an ECS Letter of Invitation to receive a letter of invitation on ECS letterhead via email.
- If the application center requires an in-person interview, dress professionally, and prepare for your interview by being able to describe your intentions clearly and concisely.
Visa Waiver Program
Citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program do not require a visa for short visits to the United States for temporary business. Travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program requires ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) approval.
Questions or concerns?
The mission of The Electrochemical Society is to advance theory and practice at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology. To do this, ECS encourages international participation in our meetings. We are happy to answer your questions about international travel. Contact email@example.com today.
San Francisco Marriott Marquis, 780 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Discover San Francisco
For detailed visitor and travel information about San Francisco, click here.
Whether you’ve been to San Francisco before or not, be sure to get out and about at the end of the day. You won’t be disappointed!
It’s never too early to start thinking about where to eat. With an amazing dining scene that satisfies all tastes and budgets, San Francisco is sure to provide memorable meals.
Whether you want to explore the city during your off hours or are traveling with friends and family looking for things to do, check the rich variety of available options.