5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day

Sustainability is at the core of the research that is published in the ECS Digital Library. Electrochemists and solid state scientists and engineers are our best hope of developing the technologies that will make a difference. They are the masterminds behind the lithium batteries that run all of our mobile devices, they developed the first fuel cells and photovoltaics, and they are on the cutting edge of current research in generating and storing energy from renewable sources like solar, biofuels, even waste papaya and tomatoes. From creating more efficient systems to discovering new energy sources, electrochemists and solid state scientists are behind the most critical innovations in sustainability and renewable energy. That is why, we at ECS are excited to celebrate Earth Day this weekend.

If you still need ideas on how to spend the day, here are the top five things to do:

1. Volunteer







Help clean up a local park, beach, or river! What better way to show your appreciate for the Earth than to help her look her best? This will also help ensure the local plants and animals live a healthier life. Electrochemists and solid state scientists and engineers are tackling waste and improving living conditions around the world through novel reuse systems.

ECS member, Dr. Boryann Liaw has turned waste papaya into sugar-air batteries. Electrochemists are turning food waste like tomatoes and bread mold into energy sources for batteries and fuel cells.

2. Reduce Waste

This is the perfect time to do a little bit of spring cleaning.  Clean your closet and donate clothes or shoes that you don’t wear anymore. According to the Council for Textile Recycling, 25 billion pounds of textiles are generated each year and only 15 percent get recycled, leaving 85% in our landfills.

Take a look at your home and see if there are ways to reduce energy waste. Visit the Department of Energy’s website for a full guide on energy-saving tips for spring and summer. You could even take it a step further and avoid using electronics for the day. Electrochemists and solid state scientists and engineers are exploring new materials like graphene, more efficient batteries, and advanced sensors to make next-generation communication devices available to underserved populations and do even more with less energy.

If you’re a minimalist and have this routine down all year long, consider donating to our #FreetheScience movement which helps make sustainability research free to the global community.

3. Park your car

Instead of driving, on Earth Day, why not try walking or riding a bike? Electrochemists and solid state scientists and engineers are the minds behind more efficient batteries, carbon reuse, and fuel cells. They’re finding ways to harvest energy from tire friction, heat, even bumps in the road. From improving materials to finding new energy sources, electrochemists can make electric and fuel cell vehicles commercially viable: a critical step towards a sustainable transportation future.  Learn more about clean and efficient transportation.

4. Contact local reps

Take a moment to contact your local representatives to tell them how important it is to help sustain the Earth. Be an advocate for open access and our #FreetheScience campaign and help us spread the word by sharing your open access stories and ideas! Remember to tag us on Twitter @ECSorg.

5. Eat green






Do you know the carbon footprint for your last meal? The World Resources Institute reports, “beef production requires 20 times more land and emits 20 times more greenhouse gas emissions per unit of edible protein than common plant-based protein sources such as beans, peas, and lentils. Chicken and pork are more resource-efficient than beef, but still require three times more land and emit three times more greenhouse gas emissions than beans”. Consider being a vegetarian or vegan on Earth Day to reduce the carbon footprint caused by meat and meat by-products. For all your other meals, David Go is working on plasma electrochemistry which will re-utilize potent greenhouse gases, thereby producing clean burning fuels for vehicles while simultaneously reducing the overall carbon.

How will you be celebrating Earth Day?

To find out more about our Free the Science initiative visit FreetheScience.org. Also visit the ECS Digital Library to read exciting sustainability research.


All content provided in the ECS blog is for informational purposes only. The opinions and interests expressed here do not necessarily represent ECS's positions or views. ECS makes no representation or warranties about this blog or the accuracy or reliability of the blog. In addition, a link to an outside blog or website does not mean that ECS endorses that blog or website or has responsibility for its content or use.

Post Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *