The Energy Technology Division Research Award was established in 1992 to encourage excellence in energy related research and to encourage publication in the Journal of The Electrochemical Society. The award recognizes outstanding and original contributions to the science and technology of energy related research areas.
The definition of the field of interest covered by the Research Award is “that area of electrochemical knowledge which deals with the mechanisms, theory, materials, design, operation, control and application of devices that contribute to the understanding and applications of energy related technologies.”
Nomination Deadline: September 1, annual
Presented: Spring meeting, annual
The recipient(s) is an active ECS member and will have made an outstanding achievement in, or scientific contribution to, the science and technology of energy related scientific research as authors or coauthors of a paper or papers, at least one of which must have appeared in the Journal or other ECS publications. As supporting evidence, the patent literature also may enter into consideration.
- originality of concept and design of experiments
- thoroughness of the experimental approach
- the theoretical treatment
- logic of the conclusions
- clarity of presentation
- the overall importance of the contribution to the fundamental and/or applied aspects of energy related science and technologies
It is the intent of the research award to recognize recent achievements or contributions to the field that can be expected to have an impact on future research and development. Because the significance of the work may become more evident with time, consideration may be given to papers that have appeared as much as ten years prior to May 1 of the award year.
There must be two or more nominees in a given year for the award subcommittee to make a selection. If there is only one nominee, that candidate will not be considered, but the nomination packet will be considered automatically in the following year. Self nominations are permissible.
A complete nomination package will include:
- Completed Electronic Nomination Form
- A nomination cover letter the summarizes the candidate’s accomplishments and contributions
- A copy of the candidate’s CV, including a complete publication list
- Three letters of recommendation
- Copies of six representative publications and/or patents that provide evidence of research accomplishments
The award consists of a scroll, a US $2,000 prize and membership in the Energy Technology Division for as long as the recipient maintains Society membership. If the award is made jointly to two or more coauthors, each coauthor will receive all mentioned items. The recipient(s) will all be asked to present a lecture to the Energy Technology Division at the designated meeting where the award is presented.
Thomas F. Fuller
Y. K. Sun
J. R. Selman
A. W. Czanderna
M. W. Verbrugge