Depending on where you live, you will need to meet certain entry requirements to visit Canada. Most people need a Visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. Some people may only need their valid passport.
Detailed information on travel to Canada, including eTA and Visa information, and the documents needed to enter the country, can be found through Visit Canada.
US citizens do not require an eTA to come into Canada; they require a passport.
An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals. You can apply for an eTA on your smartphone or computer. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes, but we recommend applying a few weeks before scheduled travel in case you need to provide additional documents.
Visa applications can take much longer, therefore we recommend beginning as early as three to four months before your travel date. A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa) is an official document that shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada. You can apply for a visitor visa online or on paper.
Tips for Successful Visa Applications
- Apply Early! Apply at least three to four months before your planned travel date.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
- Provide proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership and meeting registration.
- Request an ECS letter of invitation.
- If the application center requires an in-person interview, dress professionally and prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.
Palais des congrès de Montréal, 1001 Place Jean-Paul-Riopelle, Montréal, Québec H2Z 1H5, Canada
From homegrown tastes to exotic flavors, from the trails of Mount Royal to the cobblestone streets of Old Montréal, there is so much to see and do. It is never too early to starting planning where you will eat, and what events to attend.
Learn how to get around like a local, discover what apps to download and review practical information that will make your visit stress-free.
Questions or concerns?
The mission of The Electrochemical Society is to advance theory and practice at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology. To do this, ECS encourages international participation in our meetings and we would like to offer assistance for your questions about international travel. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org today.