Depending on where you live, certain entry requirements must be met to visit the United States. While some travelers need only a valid passport, most require a visa.
U.S. immigration law defines the type of visa required depending on the purpose of your visit. Unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program, most meeting attendees require a U.S. Visitor Visa (B-1).
Visitor Visa: For travel to the United States to conduct temporary business.
If you require a U.S. Visa to attend the ECS meeting, we recommend starting the application process three to four months in advance of the meeting. As some U.S. consulates have backlogs in scheduling visa interviews, applicants should first consult the U.S. Department of State’s visa appointment and processing wait times website.
For further information, go to U.S. Visa Information for Foreign Travelers.
Tips for Successful Visa Applications:
- Apply early! Apply at least three to four months before your planned travel date.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
- Provide proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership, and meeting registration.
- Request an ECS Letter of Invitation to receive an emailed letter of invitation on ECS letterhead.
- If the application center requires an in-person interview, dress professionally, and prepare ahead for your interview so you can describe your reasons for visiting the United States clearly and concisely.
Travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program requires ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) approval.
Questions or Concerns?
The mission of The Electrochemical Society is to advance theory and practice at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology. To do this, ECS encourages international participation in our meetings. We are happy to answer your questions about international travel. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org today.
Hynes Convention Center: 900 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02115
Sheraton Boston Hotel: 39 Dalton St, Boston, MA 02199
Hilton Boston Back Bay: 40 Dalton St, Boston, MA 02115
For driving directions, click here.
For detailed Boston visitor and travel information, click here.
Whether you’ve been to Boston before or not, be sure to venture beyond the hotel at the end of the day. You won’t be disappointed!
It’s never too early to start thinking about where to eat. With an amazing dining scene that satisfies all tastes and budgets, Boston is sure to provide memorable meals.
Whether you want to explore the city in your off hours or you are bringing friends and family who are looking for things to do, make sure to check the wealth of available options!