If you require a U.S. Visa, we recommend starting the application process three to four months in advance of the meeting. As some consulates may have backlogs in scheduling visa interviews, be sure to consult the U.S. Department of State’s visa appointment and processing wait times webpage. Visit U.S. Visa Information for Foreign Travelers for further information.
To receive a letter of invitation on ECS letterhead via email, request an ECS Letter of Invitation. Upon receipt of your ECS Letter of Invitation, take it to your nearest consulate or embassy to begin the visa application process. The ECS Letter of Invitation does not constitute a visa application. We cannot guarantee that it will enable you to obtain a visa.
You are eligible to complete this questionnaire if:
- You are a student, scholar, or professional in the sciences.
- You applied for a non-B1 Visa to come to the United States for science-related activities and your application has been undergoing administrative processing for 60 days or longer.
- You applied for a B1 Visa to come to the United States for science-related activities and your application has been undergoing administrative processing for 30 days or longer AND it is 14 or fewer days before the U.S. event’s start date.
Tips for successful visa applications
- Apply as soon as possible before your planned travel date!
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
- Provide proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership, meeting registration, and/or a presentation acceptance letter.
- Request an ECS Letter of Invitation.
- If the application center requires an in-person interview, dress professionally. Prepare for the interview in order to describe your intentions clearly and concisely.
- For detailed visitor and travel information about Atlanta, click here.
- Whether you’ve been to Atlanta before or not, make sure to get out and about at the end of the day. You won’t be disappointed!
- It’s never too early to start thinking about where to eat. With an amazing dining scene that satisfies all tastes and budgets, Atlanta is sure to provide memorable meals.
- Whether you want to explore the city in your off hours or are bringing friends and family looking for things to do, make sure to check the variety of options available.
Weather in Atlanta in October is generally exceptional. This is one of the best times of the year to visit the city. Sunny weather is common, with typical daily highs in the 70oF. While rain is possible, this month is drier than average. Check the forecast and plan accordingly.