Visa & Travel

Visa Information

Depending on where you live, certain U.S. entry requirements must be met. Most travelers require a visa, while others only need a valid passport.

U.S. immigration law defines the type of visa required, usually depending on the purpose of your travel. ECS meeting attendees who do not qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program need a B-1 visitor visa.

Visitor Visa

For travel to conduct temporary business in the United States.

Visit U.S. Visa Information for Foreign Travelers for further information.

Tips for Successful Visa Applications 
  • Apply early! Apply at least three to four months before your planned travel date.
  • Complete your application fully and accurately.
  • Provide evidence of your intention to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
  • Include proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership, and ECS meeting registration.
  • Include a Letter of Invitation on ECS letterhead. Request to receive the letter via email from ECS.
  • If an in person interview is required, dress professionally. Prepare for the interview in order to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.

Visa Waiver Program

Through the Visa Waiver Program, citizens of participating countries may travel to the United States for short visits for temporary business without a visa. The Visa Waiver Program requires Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

Meeting Location

Hilton Chicago
720 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60605

Questions or Concerns?

The mission of The Electrochemical Society is to advance theory and practice at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology. To do this, ECS encourages international participation in our meetings. Please do not hesitate to contact us at regarding questions about international travel.