Depending on where you live, certain U.S. entry requirements must be met. Most travelers require a visa, while others only need a valid passport.
U.S. immigration law defines the type of visa required, usually depending on the purpose of your travel. ECS meeting attendees who do not qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program need a B-1 visitor visa.
For travel to conduct temporary business in the United States.
If you require a U.S. Visa, we recommend starting the application process three to four months in advance of the meeting. Some consulates may have backlogs in scheduling visa interviews. Therefore, applicants should first consult the U.S. Department of State’s visa appointment and processing wait times website.
Visit U.S. Visa Information for Foreign Travelers for further information.
Tips for Successful Visa Applications
- Apply early! Apply at least three to four months before your planned travel date.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Provide evidence of your intention to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
- Include proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership, and ECS meeting registration.
- Request an ECS letter of invitation to receive a letter of invitation on ECS letterhead via email.
- If an in person interview is required, dress professionally. Prepare for the interview in order to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.
Through the Visa Waiver Program, citizens of participating countries may travel to the United States for short visits for temporary business without a visa. The Visa Waiver Program requires Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).
Orange County Convention Center
9800 International Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
Questions or Concerns?
The mission of The Electrochemical Society is to advance theory and practice at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology. To do this, ECS encourages international participation in our meetings. Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com regarding questions about international travel.