Reports to: Director of Publications
Classification: Full Time Exempt
Responsible for the production and dissemination of Interface consistent with ECS goals, objectives, and policies. Provides assistance in the management of ECS publications by performing various duties related to journals/ECST production and data collection and analysis, specifically with respect to publications usage statistics.
1. Responsible for the production oversight of Interface.
2. Works collaboratively with the ECS staff and the Interface editor and reports weekly on progress of production.
3. Manages the quarterly editorial schedule and ensures that all contributions meet specifications and deadlines.
4. Directs content layout of Interface; communicates objectives with the print production manager; monitors the design and content of the publication ensuring relevance to the Society and timing of the publication.
5. Responsible for writing copy for Interface and copy editing nontechnical contributions of the magazine.
6. Executes magazine proofing process and ensures the timeliness of the published version within the digital library.
7. In collaboration with the director of publications, creates content for the promotion of ECS publications and related enterprises through the ECS Blog, ECS eNews, mass emails, and other written communications, working closely with ECS marketing staff.
8. Responsible for the creation and maintenance of publications usage statistics. Responsible for updating all usage stats on monthly, quarterly, and year-end basis, or as needed. Responsible for recognizing authors of most-downloaded articles each month.
9. Provides support and assistance in managing ECS Transactions (ECST) and ECS Proceedings Volumes (PV) operations, which includes:
- Processes manuscripts in the submission and editorial database, the ECST submission and editorial workflow.
- Manages communication with author inquiries, paper uploads, and general questions through the ECST inbox.
- Responsible for timely and accurate production of final issues.
- Works collaboratively with the director of publications to promote ECST & PV content at meetings and conferences, which includes marketing, sales & distribution of publications and engagement of attendees to promote author submissions.
10. Performs support tasks for ECS journals, and as such:
- Provides digest information for newly published journal articles to ECS marketing staff (for promotion) and Clarivate (for indexing in Web of Science) on a daily basis.
- Conducts weekly outreach to authors who have not provided proof corrections within the allotted time frame.
- Acts as a back-up to the journals production staff to prepare manuscripts for production.
11. Provides support and assistance in subscriber relations, and as such:
- Assists publications staff in the processing of site license agreements and addendums for subscriptions.
- Writes subscriber/prospecting communications as needed.
- Provides subscriber usage data as needed.
- Ships documents and promotional materials to subscribers as needed.
12. Assists in managing the ECS Open Access initiative by working closely with the director of publications and ECS marketing staff to help create and maintain open access messaging and ensure that it is consistent throughout all communications and web pages. Researches open access in scholarly publishing by keeping up to date with news, performing environmental scans, and attending webinars.
13. Performs various duties as requested by the director of publications.
1. Internal: Reports to the director of publications. Works collaboratively with the publications content manager and other publications staff as well as other ECS staff.
2. External: Has regular contact with outside vendors. Has frequent contact with ECST and Interface editors, authors, symposium organizers, division officers, and other ECS constituents.
PREREQUISITES FOR THE JOB
1. Education and/or experience: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, publishing, or related field.
2. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
3. Strong customer service orientation and focus.
4. Excellent project management, time management, and organizational skills.
5. Self-motivated, able to effectively deal with a certain degree of autonomy.
6. Excellent interpersonal skills.
7. Experience at working in a team environment across multiple departments with competing interests and priorities.
8. Technologically savvy with an ability to apply knowledge to improve and advance the delivery of programs and services.
9. Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to multi-task under high demand with frequent tight deadlines.
10. Must be able to travel as necessary to meet job requirements.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The specific demands for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
2. Must be able to effectively use all assigned computer equipment and tools.
3. Requires long periods of time in front of a computer screen.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Availability to travel to meetings and conferences for up to 7 days at a time. International travel may also be required.
2. Work usually performed in an office setting.
3. Employee may be required to perform part of essential duties in a convention hall setting at meetings and conferences at least 2 times per year.
4. Fast-paced environment with the need to juggle multiple demands.
5. Must be available to work nights and weekends to meet heavy work demands and frequent deadlines, as requested.
Send your resume and cover letter to:
Jessica Wisniewski, ECS Human Resources & Operations Manager: Jessica.Wisniewski@electrochem.org
Timothy Gamberzky, Chief Operating Officer: Tim.firstname.lastname@example.org