Depending on where you live, you will need to meet certain entry requirements to visit the United States. Most travelers need a Visa but some people may only need their valid passport.The type of visa you must obtain is defined by U.S. immigration law, and relates to the purpose of your travel. For the purpose of attending the meeting, most attendees will be looking for a visitor visa (B-1) unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program.
PRiME is registered with the National Academies of Sciences Engineering Medicine. The International Visitors Office (IVO) is a program operated by the Board on International Scientific Organizations. The IVO serves as a resource on visa-related issues for The National Academies, Academy members, as well as scientists and students traveling to the United States for professional activities.
If you require a U.S. Visa, we recommend starting the application process three to four months in advance of the meeting. Some consulates may have backlogs in scheduling visa interviews. Therefore, applicants should first consult the U.S. Department of State’s visa appointment and processing wait times website.
Visit U.S. Visa Information for Foreign Travelers for further information.
If you are experiencing significant visa delays, please fill out the IVO’s visa survey. This will allow them to bring your case to the attention of the U.S. Department of State.
Tips for Successful Visa Applications
- Apply Early! Apply at least 3 to 4 months before your planned travel date.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence, and/or binding or sufficient ties to your home country or permanent residence abroad.
- Provide proof of professional scientific and/or educational status, ECS membership and meeting registration.
- Request a PRiME 2020 letter of invitation to receive a letter of invitation on ECS letterhead via email.
- If the application center requires an in-person interview, dress professionally and prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.
Visa Waiver Program
Citizens of participating countries may travel to the United States for short visits for temporary business without a visa through the Visa Waiver Program.
Travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program requires ESTA approval.
PRiME 2020 will be held at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Hawaii Convention Center.
Hilton Hawaiian Village, 2005 Kalia Road, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815 USA
Hawaii Convention Center, 1801 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, Hawaii 96815 USA
Questions or Concerns?
The mission of The Electrochemical Society is to advance theory and practice at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology. To do this, ECS encourages international participation in our meetings and we would like to offer assistance for your questions about international travel. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org today.