216th ECS Meeting

216th ECS Meeting

Vienna, Austria | October 4-9, 2009

General Visa Information

Who does NOT need a Visa?

Citizens of all countries of the European Union, of Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Roumenia, and Israel, of most of the countries of North and South America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and some other countries need a valid travel document to enter Austria. (In some cases valid ID cards or passports that have been invalid for no longer than five years are still appropriate.)

When in doubt please make sure to contact the Austrian Consulate or Embassy before departure.

At the borders between Austria, Germany and Italy, due to the Schengen Treaty, regular passport controls have been abandoned; however, the travel document still has to be carried along when entering another Schengen country.

Who needs a Visa?

Travellers who need a Visa can be provided with the new Schengen Visa (Visa C), issued by all Schengen countries and valid for all these countries up to three months.

With a Schengen Visa issued by Austria for example one can enter Germany and Italy as well (and vice versa). In principle the Visa is issued by the country that constitutes the major destination of the trip. In these cases the entry may also be via another Schengen country than the one that issued the Visa. If there is no major destination of the trip (e.g. when visiting several countries) the first state via which Schengen country is entered, is in charge to issue the Visa.

"Schengen countries" at the moment consist of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

For a list of countries and links to their Visa websites, click here.

For more information about ECS Meetings, contact us at meetings@electrochem.org.