Christopher Jannuzzi, Executive Director and CEO of The Electrochemical Society (ECS), is featured in SciTech Europa Quarterly, a digital publication bringing together the key voices in the European scientific community and the leading trends in science, research and innovation. Jannuzzi describes the distinguished history of ECS, which was founded in 1902 and has grown to a society with over 8,000 members in 80 countries. The core mission remains the same: to advance theory and practice at the forefront of electrochemical and solid state science and technology, and allied subjects. However, with 13 electrochemistry and solid state science and technology divisions, the application—and vital significance—of electrochemistry has grown exponentially. The research published in ECS journals is of huge importance to the future of our planet. ECS makes it freely available to all readers—and free for authors to publish—through a bold and exciting open access initiative, “Free the Science.” Read the full article in SciTech Europa Quarterly now.
ECS is set to participate in its fifth International Open Access Week, an annual event organized by SPARC, the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition. From October 21-27, ECS will take down the paywall to the entire ECS Digital Library, making over 151,000 scientific articles and abstracts free and accessible to everyone. (more…)
Starting in 2020, IOPP will partner with ECS in the publication of the Journal of the Electrochemical Society and the ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology and the hosting of ECS Transactions, ECS Meeting Abstracts, and Interface as well as the hosting of the archives for ECS’s retired publications—ECS Electrochemistry Letters, ECS Solid State Letters, Electrochemical and Solid State Letters, and ECS Proceedings Volumes.
Christopher Jannuzzi, executive director and CEO of ECS, said: “ECS has a 117+ year reputation for creating outstanding, peer-reviewed periodicals, conference proceedings, and magazines. We have a long-standing commitment to ensure the technical quality of the works published, as well as the integrity and validity of the peer review our community provides. (more…)
In celebration of its third annual Free the Science Week (April 1-7, 2019), the Society once again took down the paywall to the entire ECS Digital Library. For the duration of the week, readers had unrestricted access to more than 151,000 scientific articles and abstracts.
This successful weeklong event produced swells in ECS page visits and content usage that attest to the enduring relevance and value of the Free the Science initiative.
ECS is proud to partner with the March for Science, a global event taking place on May 4, 2019. On this day, scientists and science advocates around the world will march to highlight the important role that science plays in improving lives, solving problems, and informing evidence-based policy.
Marches will be held in over 100 locations. Attendees may also join the march taking place in New York City at noon at Foley Square.
The March for Science aligns strongly with ECS’s Free the Science initiative, which aims to one-day offer complete, free, and unlimited access to the ECS Digital Library so that critically important research in human and environmental sustainability can become accessible to all. (more…)
Free the Science Week wraps up this coming Sunday, April 7, but Free the Science—as a movement—continues all year round, propelled in large part by the institutions and authors that take advantage of the benefits of ECS Plus.
Free the Science Week celebrates those working to eliminate barriers to access for researchers around the world.
But did you know that the Society also supports green open access?
ECS’s green open access policy allows you to freely and immediately share the articles you publish in ECS journals without using an open access article credit or paying an article processing charge.
But the Free the Science initiative isn’t just about making research free to access; it’s also about making research free to publish.
So one of the best ways you can celebrate Free the Science Week is by making plans to publish your next ECS article Author Choice Open Access.
Not sure what to download during Free the Science Week?
Over 37% of the ECS journal content published since 2014 is open access—free to access all year round. During Free the Science Week, which runs until April 7, you have free access to the other 63% of this content (and much more) ordinarily found behind the paywall.
The lists below compile this year’s most-read articles typically found behind the paywall from the Journal of The Electrochemical Society, the ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, and ECS Transactions.
Download them while they’re free to access!
Here are some tips for navigating the digital library’s more than 151,000 articles and abstracts—and making the most of the week of free access.